How can I report on all accounts under a particular parent account?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Sep 4 12:17:15 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Wed, September 4, 2013 11:05 am, Mark Hanford wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I'm using GC to track our personal finances, and have been using the
> standard report "Expense Pie Chart".
>
> I've created a custom report from this with just a subset of accounts
> (all those under my "Joint" account) which works fine. The problem is,
> when I create new accounts under this (perhaps a new breakdown of
> expenditures) I have to remember to edit the report to add the new
> account(s) to it.
>
> Is it possible to set the report conditions to be "all accounts under
> {this} account"?
>
> Currently it's using a discreet list:
>
> (let ((option (gnc:lookup-option options
>                                  "Accounts"
>                                  "Accounts")))
>   ((lambda (option) (if option ((gnc:option-setter option)
> '("1d54f378bb7a8b0f6ecd79902ce54fee"
> "578ff65f0e42e131e41b0e2ef028a02d" "2a66313aab08dcde48a688fda4a89498"
> "0be05d94381c6f1dcbffb9f22a64efa9")))) option))

Sorry, no, there is not.  The general query object framework (QOF) upon
which GnuCash was written does not know about the "Account Hierarchy", so
there's no way for it to have special knowledge about it.  In order to do
what you want the QOF code would need to be extended to allow additional
runtime-added predicates and add a new predicate that would perform
type-specific checking.

Patches are always welcome.

> Thanks,
>
> Mark

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745