help for beginner; Orphan and imbalances

Peter Kiessling pjkiess at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 19:38:52 EDT 2013

I also use a MAC. I have noticed when I use single line entry (No auto split) that the speed entry feature will set up a transaction that I have done before and I can then enter the new amount on the one line, but since it is echoing a previous transaction and if I've entered a different amount this time, then Gnucash will generate an orphan or imbalance but not show me that unless I specifically open the split. This happened to me a lot in my haste to get a receipt entered quickly. Single line entry is fast if it is the same amount as a previous or a new entry.  Not so good if speed entry takes over and the amount is different.
Two ways to avoid that is go to view drop down and check auto split which will work until you close and reopen Gnucash or go to preferences: register defaults: and then check auto-split.
Pete