Cloud options?

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 06:50:23 EDT 2013

You can put the GnuCash data file on a cloud service like DropBox and open
it from multiple locations without having to move the file itself around.
 This works pretty well if you need/want to use GnuCash at work and at home
easily without having to keep track of flash drives, etc.  It's what I use.

But you can't have two GnuCash instances open and manipulate the file at
the same time.  GnuCash reads the entire data file into memory at startup
and doesn't read from it after that.  If you were to run multiple instances
simultaneously, they wouldn't see each others changes, and the last one to
write the file would "win" -- while you would lose transactions and your
patience.  GnuCash uses a file-locking scheme to help prevent that.

GnuCashOnline looks like someone took GnuCash, uploaded it to a VM server,
and let you run it there.  It's a neat trick, allowing you to access it on
any platform, including browsers and iPads, but totally unnecessary if you
are willing to install GnuCash on whatever machines you and your employee
have.  It doesn't appear to buy you anything over DropBox and similar cloud
file storage solutions.

I see nothing to indicate that the folks at GnuCashOnline have modified
GnuCash to allow simultaneous access by multiple users.  I also see nothing
to indicate they are related to the GnuCash developers, either.