"Get Quotes" limit?

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Mon Sep 16 10:29:07 EDT 2013

[Using GnuCash-2.4.12 on WinXPPro_SP3]

When fetching quotes (Tools->Price Editor / Get Quotes) I find that up to
17 can be fetched at a time, but if I ask for 18 the function appears to
hang (the Perl window does not close in over five minutes, instead of a
few seconds). It does not seem to make any difference which 17 I ask for
(I have a list of about 24 I would like to fetch), though I have
obviously not checked all possible combinations.

Is this expected behaviour? If so is it a documented limit?

If it makes any difference, I am fetching from Yahoo-Europe, since most
of the securities are on the London Stock Exchange with a couple on
Paris.

I can fetch all of them (simultaneously) from the command line with
gnc-fq-dump.

I don't think that a (possible) parameter-length limit can be the
problem, since the full list comes to only 134 characters.