My Sales Tax Tables are Multiplying

qubit qubit at scottworks.net
Wed Sep 18 13:34:26 EDT 2013

Derek,

What do you mean when you say the data is corrupted?  I've been looking
through the database tables (postgresql); The only issue I see is that the
duplicate tax tables are spread across the entries, taxtables and
taxtable_entries tables. Since I only have 5 duplicate tax tables, I don't
see as though it is that big of an issue to clean them up with some basic
SQL. I also do not see any issues with posting bills or invoices with these
duplicate tax tables, except that the duplicates will slowly increase.

I've been using the SQL backend for about a year and a half and have to say
that it is far easier to support across multiple workstations accessing from
multiple locations (one workstation at a time) than the XML file on an NFS
share. It also has greater potential than the XML in creating custom reports
directly from the DB. I've a very rudimentary way of tracking inventory
purchases and sales using the DB (query ONLY).

BTW, I don't see any foreign key constraints to keep relational data from
becoming inconsistent.

I've been using GNUCash for about ten years and believe it to be the best
open source accounting product. I'm hoping we can see more stability and
support for database back-end since this is the most flexible way to go.

-Br-