Questions Regarding Backup and Stopping Gnucash

Bob Brush 3 bobbrush3 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 18:54:22 EDT 2013

Try this:

wmctrl -c GnuCash

Install the program wmctrl and run with the -c to "Close the window
gracefully" for the first window with the string "GnuCash" in the window
title. Running with -l will give a list of window titles if you need
some ideas of what string to use.. If you had GnuCash open 3 times with
different files you could close just one by using the filename as the
string because it is usually in the window title bar, and will probably
be unique.  While writing this email I noticed that wmctrl preferred to
close this message as it was the first window open with "GnuCash" in the
title, so not a unique string, kinda have to watch for stuff like that.

The old way, but probably not helpful, you could send key presses to the
window like this:
xvkbd -window 0x2801d95 -text "\[Control]q"
If you know the window id..

Hope this helps..