Aw: Sample Company Accounts

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Thu Sep 26 08:08:34 EDT 2013

> Von: "Geoff Jankowski" <geoff.jankowski at me.com>

> I am trying to use gnucash for a new company and would like to see an example of a UK company set of account already established on Gnucash so I can understand how it sets out the account structure.  For example, I cannot see how to list my customers and suppliers and also how it enters them to the P&L, TB and Balance sheets.
>
> Does such a thing exist or is someone kind enough to let me see theirs on a confidential basis?

Mine probably will not be sufficient for you. I am GP and run my NHS medical practice with it. So, we do not do customers in that sense. Nevertheless I would be more than happy to share a skeleton account of ours and indeed, would be happy to have this somewhere submitted as an example account for a UK business.

> I do not want to spend a lot of time organising it to find that it is not suitable for my purposes and playing with an existing structure would at least enable me to get a feel for the software as a business tool.

FWIW, the amount of hand holding other software might give you, wizards and the like, you will not get from GnuCash. The documentation is dense and expects you to put some work into understanding the concepts. So, for us, it was a very steep learning curve - from never done anything like that to having to run a business a with it. But it has served us very well and at no stage had the accountant or indeed HMCR any problems with what we gave them.

Also, this mailing list here is a huge help. I only discovered it recently (which does not speak for my intelligence, I know).

HTH

Peter