Scheduled transactions

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 09:59:26 EDT 2013

On 26 Sep 2013, at 12:07, Geoff Jankowski <geoff.jankowski at me.com> wrote:

> I have set up some scheduled transactions that automatically enter the account on the set date.  Hoever, occasionally I pay earlier than the scheduled activity.

Arrange for the relevant scheduled transactions (SXs) to be created in advance of the due date; edit the date of the transaction if you pay it early.

(Use Actions->Scheduled Actions=>Scheduled Transaction Editor, Double-click the scheduled transaction, tick the box marked "Create in advance" in the Overview Tab, and enter the number of days).

This has the advantage that you get a warning of pending transactions when you look at the relevant bank or credit card account, and may be able to avoid an unplanned overdraft.

I use a similar method when my phone bill comes in - I have a scheduled transaction set up for a figure which exceeds my expectation of the direct debit that will be applied to my bank account, and when I'm notified of the correct figure I adjust it.

May I ask why you need to be so precise about the date on which you made the payment?

I can see there might be some scope for confusion if you made an extra payment in any given month, but if it's just a matter of paying a week or two early, who cares? After all, you would normally enter a payment by cheque as taking place on the date you signed it, knowing that it'll be a few days before it is cleared through your bank, direct debits may occur a day or two on either side of the expected date, and salary and pension payments are usually paid early if the scheduled date isn't a banking day.

> In Quicken I was able to force the entry of the next iteration of the schedule and it loks as if I should be able to in gnucash as there is an "Enter" button in the template area that tells me it records the current transaction but whenever I try to use it, nothing happens.

I think this button simply saves any changes you've made in the SX, it doesn't actually create a transaction.

Michael