Aw: Sample Company Accounts

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Sep 26 11:39:40 EDT 2013

I would like to emphasize Derek's point. It is so easy to move accounts
around (and not loose any transactions) in gnucash that I would suggest
don't worry about making a mistake in your chart of accounts, or getting it
right from the start. Your chart of accounts can grow with your
understanding of gnucash and what your business needs.

I started using gnucash with my US non-profit, and there were no non-profit
charts of accounts specifically for gnucash. I started with a basic
business chart of accounts, and then modified it as I went along and
learned (a) how gnucash works and (b) what I really needed for my
non-profit from an accounting standpoint.

A quick pow wow with your accountant on his/her advice about your chart of
accounts should be enough to get you started on the right path. I regularly
talk to my accountant about both my for-profit and non-profit accounting
needs, and can easily make changes in the chart of accounts as needed.

Finally, the documentation is very good for the basics and to get you
started. It does not cover every scenario with a solution, which can be
frustrating at times. Those types of questions can be answered by your
accountant and this mailing list. The folks in this community are very
helpful and responsive. But this is open source software, so no hand
holding here - you need to be able to stand on your own two feet, take
advice, and solve your own problems. Plus give back to the community as
your learn more about gnucash! ;)

Good luck!

Mark