Blank transactions appearing on one half of transaction

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 17:23:50 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Jeff <jeff at forerunnertv.com> wrote:

> I just happened to come across an issue where I noticed that one side of a
> transaction is blank while the other side is fine. This blank amount
> causes the
> balance of that particular account to be incorrect, which obviously
> completely
> defeats the purpose of using GnuCash.
>
> I am using GnuCash v2.4.13 on Mac OSX v10.8.5 Mountain Lion.
>
> I have found several transactions with this same problem, and the one
> common
> factor seems to be that there is an exchange rate involved between them
> (one in
> USD and the other in CAD).
>
> So normally I import transactions from a CSV file into say my USD Bank
> Account
> register. Once they are imported, I open this register/account (its a BANK
> ACCOUNT in this case). I then manually go thru each transaction and change
> the
> Transfer from Imbalance to the appropriate EXPENSE account. If it involves
> different currencies the Exchange Rate dialog will open up, and I will set
> either the Exchange Rate to the To Amount as required. In this case the
> Exchange Rate is set to 1.0.
>
>    QUESTION 1
>    Is there a way to search for all these blank transactions? They do not
>    appear
>    when I search for a Value equal to 0.00
>    QUESTION 2
>    Is there a way to have all these accounts re-updated automatically
>    without
>    having to manually search thru each register and manually try to fix
>    it?
>    Thanks

SO are you saying that these transactions do not show up in the
Inbalance-USD (or whatever is your local currency) account? That's the
easiest way to find them. If you have a circumstance where they are being
assigned to another incorrect account, you should be able to open them up.

If there truly is only one account defined in a transaction, then that
sounds like a serious bug.