GnuCash copy of original file was deleted!

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 20:13:49 EDT 2013

On 30 Sep 2013, at 23:04, crazy_cat <info at freie-bildung.ch> wrote:

> Hi - I'm new to go with GnuCash ... I have just done a complete annual
> booking. So I could take over the account hierarchy for the current year,
> I've created a copy of the GnuCash file and delete all postings in this
> second file - assuming that I can then start from new.
>
> After I saved the new file - was my original file but empty! Now I've lost a
> full year booking! Can someone please tell me whether it is possible to
> somehow make this file again?
>
> THANK YOU! I am desperate: (((

First of all - DON'T PANIC!!!

1. Find out the folder where your GnuCash files are stored - on my (Mac) computer, this folder holds MDH.gnucash (which is my most recently saved accounts file) along with a large number of files like:

MDH.gnucash.YYYYMMDDhhmmss.gnucash

and

MDH.gnucash.YYYYMMDDhhmmss.gnucash.log

Obviously, your original filename will be different from mine (my initials are "MDH").

2. Copy this folder to a safe place, and don't touch it again until this is all sorted.

3. Use GnuCash to open the most recent .gnucash file in your accounts folder prior to this file (ignore the files ending ".log") - it will be something like MDH.gnucash.YYYYMMDDhhmmss.gnucash.

4. Have  a look at the transactions in this file - if it has the transactions from the last accounting year (that you thought you'd just lost!), all is well - Save this file As something memorable, for example "MDHLastYear.gnucash", and don't touch it again.

5. Open MDH.gnucash, and use it to record the current year's transactions.

6. If the file you've opened doesn't hold last year's transactions, close it, and go to its predecessor, and so on.

I'm assuming here that there's a good reason for starting a new year with no transactions - is this the case? If you don't have a good reason, why not just continue to record transactions in the original file?

Michael