transactions all cleared, out of balance with reconcile

Cory Waddingham cory at waddingham.org
Tue Apr 1 11:27:33 EDT 2014

I’m having a problem getting my account to reconcile with my bank’s list of transactions and am hoping someone on this list can help. After importing all of the transactions with my bank over the last year (since the account was created), and going through all of the manually-entered transactions to make sure they are cleared, I’m showing a difference of about $105 (in my favor) with the account. So far as I can tell, every single transaction entered in GNUCash corresponds to an entry in my bank’s exported Quicken information. I’m not sure what the problem could be.

Also, when I try to reconcile using the latest bank statement, I show a difference of about $1200. When I enter the balancing entry for that amount it screws things up further and shows a difference of that amount between the cleared transactions and what my bank shows. No matter what I do I can’t get GNUCash to show the same amount in this account as my bank.

I’m at my wits end and really hope there’s some way, other than creating a new GNUCash account to track my checking account, to fix this.

I should note that this is the first time I’m trying to reconcile the account. I don’t know if that makes a difference or not at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cory Waddingham