transactions all cleared, out of balance with reconcile

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 1 12:18:55 EDT 2014

Hi,

Cory Waddingham <cory at waddingham.org> writes:

> I’m having a problem getting my account to reconcile with my bank’s
> list of transactions and am hoping someone on this list can
> help. After importing all of the transactions with my bank over the
> last year (since the account was created), and going through all of
> the manually-entered transactions to make sure they are cleared, I’m
> showing a difference of about $105 (in my favor) with the account. So
> far as I can tell, every single transaction entered in GNUCash
> corresponds to an entry in my bank’s exported Quicken information. I’m
> not sure what the problem could be.
>
> Also, when I try to reconcile using the latest bank statement, I show
> a difference of about $1200. When I enter the balancing entry for that
> amount it screws things up further and shows a difference of that
> amount between the cleared transactions and what my bank shows. No
> matter what I do I can’t get GNUCash to show the same amount in this
> account as my bank.
>
> I’m at my wits end and really hope there’s some way, other than
> creating a new GNUCash account to track my checking account, to fix
> this.

Does the starting balance match up?

> I should note that this is the first time I’m trying to reconcile the
> account. I don’t know if that makes a difference or not at this point.

Oh, the first time?  I recommend you do it in stages, one month at a
time.  Start with your first month's statement and make sure that
reconciles.  Then move forward one month at a time.

For what it's worth, I just reconciled a credit card account the other
day and it took me 4 times going through the whole thing before I
discovered my typo!