Need Help with Reconciliation Mistake

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Apr 3 10:41:56 EDT 2014

I have been making weekly electronic payments of $820 out of my checking
account and I made a reconciliation mistake and I don't know how to fix it.
I successfully reconcile the account each month. I just reconciled the
March statement and found this error.The transactions:

1/26 $820 Did not reconcile in January...must have picked another one in
early Feb by mistake when reconciling the account in Feb.

2/24 $820 reconciled this one, but actually the bank had cancelled the
transaction because there were two scheduled for the same day, which was
correct, but the bank does not allow that.

3/3 $820 ck# 4427 - replaced the canceled electronic payment cancelled by
the bank. This one is also reconciled.

I seem to have missed adding a transaction to remove the canceled $820 on
2/24 as well.

So, I would like to end up in this state, but I am not sure how to get
there....

1. Add transaction dated 3/3 to reverse the 2/24 cancelled transaction.
Reconcile this transaction.
2. Reconcile the transaction on 1/26.

That should preserve the "paper trail" for all the transactions, and the
balance should be the same. But how do I do this? Adding the transaction in
#1 is not a problem, but I am not sure how to mark the transactions in #1
and #2 as reconciled.

Two other wrinkles....I no longer make these payments, so I can't catch up
next month. Also, This account is for a trust that I manage, and one of the
beneficiaries threatens lawsuits on a regular basis, so I can't just delete
the 1/26 transaction...I have to preserve the paper trail throughout the
account.

Thanks,

Mark