Announcement: GnuCash 2.6.3 Release 2014-04-01 in Opensuse Yast

Graham P Davis hacker at scarlet-jade.com
Fri Apr 4 15:51:12 EDT 2014

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 16:13:09 +0200
"Frank H. Ellenberger" <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 03.04.2014 20:06, schrieb Nolan Young:
> > I added the respository you suggested:
> > http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/GNOME:/Apps/openSUSE_13.1/
> >
> > Now in YaST2 in opensuse 13.1, when I search for gnucash, for
> > "Personal Finance Manager" it shows package name "gnucash-devel"
> > for  2.6.3, but it shows "gnucash" for 2.4.13, which is currently
> > installed.  I thought that, in general, package names ending in
> > "-devel" include libraries needed for development rather than
> > libraries needed for normal use of the executable code.
> >

> Select gnucash in YAST, view versions. You should see 2.6.3 too and
> select it. Eventually you have to enable "options->allow provider
> change" or similar. Without this you can not switch between different
> repos.

Really? I've never used that option before and have had no problem
selecting a later version of gnucash from GNOME:Apps, either by
selecting the particular package via radio button in the "versions" tab
or by using the sledgehammer technique of using "view ==>
repositories", selecting the repository, then selecting "switch system
packages . . . " and so getting all packages from that library.

The "sledgehammer" method can get you into trouble as you can sometimes
pick up old versions of packages which may not be compatible.

As I say, I've not seen any problems through not using "allow provider
change" - I'd never even noticed it before - but I'll look into it to
see whether it's something I should be using.

--
Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 13.2-m0 (64-bit); KDE 4.12.2; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;