Update prices

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Apr 6 10:18:30 EDT 2014

On Apr 6, 2014, at 12:58 AM, Bridgett Williams <gyrlfrend at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I downloaded the Perl program so that I could update prices automatically in GnuCash. After downloading, I did not find the  “gnc-fq-dump” test program so I couldn't test it to see if it works. When I clicked on 'get quotes' I got a message reading that it was unable to retrieve quotes for these items: NYSE: O (which is the stock I have loaded).

You haven't said what OS you're using, but I'll assume Microsoft Windows since one doesn't need to install Perl on MacOSX or Linux.

Find the program "Install Online Price Retrieval" in the Start Menu. In Win7 and earlier it's in the GnuCash folder, but Win8 apparently doesn't have one of those so you'll have to search for it. That program will install the additional components you need to run Finance::Quote.

Note that if you installed ActiveState Perl (a.k.a. ActivePerl) v5.16 or later, it's broken. You'll need to uninstall it and let Install Online Price Retrieval install Strawberry Perl for you.

Oh, and gnc-fq-test is installed in the Gnucash folder wherever you installed it; by default that would be c:\Program Files\Gnucash\bin\gnc-fq-test or if your Windows installation is 64-bit, c:\Program Files (x86)\Gnucash\bin\gnc-fq-test.

Regards,
John Ralls