Mass deletion of transactions

Ricardo Biloti biloti at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 13:37:50 EDT 2014

My motivation for such feature is closer to your (b) alternative. I have
the situation where transactions have been registered for more than 4
years. This is not a problem for Gnucash at all (although it takes some --
acceptable -- time to open the file). However, in the last five months
some, but not all, transactions were registered wrongly. After a thorough
inspection, I figured out the source of the problem. Unfortunately, many of
the transaction's original sources are no longer available. Therefore, I
have no hope in fix those transactions.

Finally, my decision was to split the original file in three, one prior the
flaw, one for the compromised period, and one from that moment the problem
was detected.

In the absence of any other alternative, I would have to accept the tedious
process of deleting them manually.

Despite this specific situation, I have had the wish to close a book and
open a new one, after so many years of register, as a way to archive the
remote past (I have been using Gnucash for more than a decade). If that
decision is not taken exactly at the "cut" moment, there is always a boring
process of transfer the last transactions from the old book to the new one.
A feature like my last suggestion in the previous message would be helpful.

> Besides, I would suggest that all accounts have a simple ID that could be
> used to inform both accounts of each transaction in the CSV import. This
> would greatly improve the CSV mass import of transactions. I believe that
> the implementation effort related to such feature is worthy.

As I do not know the code, I can not judge the effort to implement it. I am
just saying that such feature would represent some value to me. Maybe you
could take into account such demands as the code evolves, as a way to make
more feasible the implementation of that sort of functionalities.