Gnucash not finding help files/tutorial

Bill Cassady caersidi at freeshell.org
Tue Apr 15 18:14:14 EDT 2014

Instead it mungs up a URL on external browser with error message
about browser can't read the code.

gnupage:~$ gnucash --version
GnuCash 2.4.12
Built 2013-04-02 from r22850M

gnupage:~$ uname -a
Linux gnupage 3.8.0-26-generic #38-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 17 21:43:33 UTC
2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've spent a lot of time tracing down gnucash's files in hopes of
finding anything I recognize as configuration file to point gnucash to
the proper files. Those files seem to be intact as proven by loading
them manually into a browser -- but how to let gnucash where they are I
haven't found.

Can you help ?

Thanks-
-Bill