Gnucash not finding help files/tutorial

Bill Cassady caersidi at freeshell.org
Wed Apr 16 11:18:34 EDT 2014

Hi Frank-

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:42:24 +0200
> From: Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com>
> To: Bill Cassady <caersidi at freeshell.org>, gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Subject: Re: Gnucash not finding help files/tutorial
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Am 16.04.2014 00:14, schrieb Bill Cassady:
> > Instead it mungs up a URL on external browser with error message
> > about browser can't read the code.
>
> Usually they are shown in Yelp. Did you install gnucash-docs and yelp?

Gnucash-docs, of course;
"which yelp": showed /usr/bin/yelp,
however,
"locate yelp" showed but 7 files. Comparing that to the same on my
open-suse virtual machine which showed a mountain of files for yelp,
it appeared that yelp was missing something...

> > gnupage:~$ gnucash --version
> > GnuCash 2.4.12
> > Built 2013-04-02 from r22850M
> >
> > gnupage:~$ uname -a
> > Linux gnupage 3.8.0-26-generic #38-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 17 21:43:33 UTC
> > 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > I've spent a lot of time tracing down gnucash's files in hopes of
> > finding anything I recognize as configuration file to point gnucash to
> > the proper files. Those files seem to be intact as proven by loading
> > them manually into a browser -- but how to let gnucash where they are I
> > haven't found.
>
> I have them below /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash*, but the prefix may
> vary between distributions.

Same file arrangement for open-suse, also.

On the Ubuntu I did an "apt-get install yelp" and the necessary
additional files were installed.

Works fine now on (Ubuntu)Mint also.

Thanks much Frank-!

-Bill