Gnucash data missing

dansaudio dan at dmohr.com
Wed Apr 16 21:10:21 EDT 2014

>> > wrote:
>>> It turns out that all of the credit transactions (purchases made with
>>> the
>>> credit card), as well as their corresponding splits, have disappeared.
>>> Just
>>> to clarify, this is over a 15 month history.  All debit transactions
>>> (credit
>>> card payments) are still there.  It has happened with four out of five
>>> credit cards.
>
> Yes,there is a huge balance on the credit cards, payments only. And yes,
> the
> accounts the purchases are against are still there, and one of the credit
> cards is still intact (1 out of 5 cards).
>
> In the back ups, there is an anomaly in the file naming occurring
> simultaneously with the problem with the data. There appears to be a
> timestamp and file extension following the gnucash file extension. There
> are
> a few of these anololies then the file structure returns to normal, but
> with
> corrupted data. I believe this is the root of the problem, but do not
> understand yet how this happened. The (I believe to be incorrect) file
> name
> is structured as follows:
>
> <your accounts file name>.<datetimestamp>.gnucash,<datetimestamp>,gnucash

That means you opened one of the backup files and saved it (possibly
automatic save) so it then saved a backup of the backup by adding a
further timestamp.gnucash to the end again.

> For a log file, the structure is as follows:
>
> <your accounts file name>.<datetimestamp>.gnucash,<datetimestamp>,log

That is the log of when you opened the backup file <your accounts file
name>.<datetimestamp>.gnucash, to which it added <datetimestamp>,log

If the final timestamps of these are today then they are just the
result of you looking at the backups today in order to find a good
one.  If they are old then at some previous time you opened one of the
backups.

Colin

You are correct, the time stamps were appearing as I looked for a good
backup.  The mystery remains: Where did the credit card charges go? All the
credits form 4 different credit cards. Does anyone know how to open/read a
log file?  Does the log file contain information of any forensic value? This
is not a case of a few charges disappearing in any chronological order, and
I would like to figure this one out.

Dan