Similar GNU cash program needed

Ian K ik522000 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 05:36:41 EDT 2014

The slowness and laggy behaviour in Windows are valid reasons to not want to
use GnuCash 2.6.3.
The way I see it is if you stick with GnuCash you have two options:

1. Install 2.4.13 (2.4.15 is the most recent 2.4 release but I found 2.4.13
the mose stable). There are no issues with slow loading or laggy GUI. The
downside is you won't get the new features of the latest version (I
particularly like the new saved reports handling). It could be an option
until the slowness issues get fixed in a future 2.6 release, though one of
my bugs got shut down as the devs indicated there wasn't much more to be
done...

2. Use Linux or Mac OS X - both perform fine. If your windows hardware can
handle it, VMware Player is free and you can run a Linux VM and install
GnuCash 2.6.3 on that. For me, despite waiting for the VM to boot, the
overall experience is still much better than running 2.6.3 on Windows. Using
the VMware shared folders GnuCash can load the data file from the original
Windows location.

Hopefully the devs will keep looking for a fix for the Windows issues - I
don't want to appear negative but not having the coding skills myself all I
can do is report bugs and ask for fixes.