Price Editor ??? Account balances

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Apr 26 18:03:42 EDT 2014

On Apr 26, 2014, at 1:04 PM, Mike Stillingfleet <mikestillingfleet at fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> OK I have now solved the problem with the silly account balances this
> was because there were two values in the price editor for the currency
> concerned. The first if which was a silly value.
>
> This then leads to a further question .... if the account balance uses
> this first value whereas each individual transaction can use the
> exchange rate appropriate to the date of the transaction.... how does
> this balance / reflect the transactions properly

The account value on the chart of accounts page reflects the value of the asset in the base currency based on the latest price in the price table. It’s intended to tell you the current value of your assets.

It’s not an account balance: That would be based on the actual amount you paid for the TL when you got them from the ATM.

Each account in a transaction is represented by a “Split”, which has two fields: The amount field is denominated in the account’s currency/commodity, while the value field is denominated in the transaction currency. The latter is determined by the account whose register you were visiting when you created the transaction. The ratio between the amount and value is the price or exchange rate.

Is that a little clearer?

Regards,
John Ralls