I am confused the accounts do not add up!!

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 28 11:58:35 EDT 2014

Hi,

Mike Stillingfleet <mikestillingfleet at fastmail.co.uk> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I am just starting with GNUCash and have entered my first couple of
> transactions having set myself up with a small chart of accounts.
>
> I travel a lot. So I want to input my transactions in local currency on
> the cash side but record GBP on the expense side.

I find it works best to enter all my transactions in my home currency,
even when I am traveling.  This is because I am reimbursed in my home
currency.  So I enter in the foreign currency in the description but do
the exchange rate in the entered values.

> So I set up several cash accounts in GBP, EURO, TL, etc.

What I do here is keep these "currency" accounts in my home currency and
again just record the value of the foreign currencies.

> So I input a transaction - Taxi to Marmaris Coach station 25TL = £7.07 @
> the correct exchange rate for the day.
>
> Everything is good the TL Cash is reduced and the expense is recorded in
> GBP just what I wanted.
>
> But the Value of current Assets goes bonkers. Showing a value of
> -£2336.64   I have a thus only input a couple of transactions this
> balance is complete rubbish.
>
> Any ideas??

This implies you have a bogus exchange rate entry in your PriceDB.