QIF spec ambiguity in example file

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 28 12:06:10 EDT 2014

Ricardo Biloti <biloti at gmail.com> writes:

> Dear John
>
> I totally agree with you. I am trying myself to write some scripts to
> produce QIF file from my personal sources and I am struggling with lack of
> precise information on QIF specification.
>
> Personally, I would like to see the complete reference for the (subset) QIF
> format that Gnucash understands, as well as a rich list of sample
> transactions and their QIF translation.

You are welcome to go ask Intuit for that..  I doubt it will go very
well.

All the "documentation" for the Quicken Interchange Format (QIF) has
been through reverse-engineering.  So what you get is what you get.

As for the original issue:

> After the "!Account" line, we have listed the control chars: N, T,
> D, Q, T, P, N, L, Y. However, the only control chars listed for the
> "Account Information Format" are: N, T, D, L, /, and $. So I'm
> guessing Q, P and Y must be referring to perhaps the control chars

I think you're confusing account definitions from actual transaction
definition.  Accounts only use N, T, D, L, and B.  Whereas N, T, D, Q,
T, P, N, L, Y, and $ are most definitely "transaction" fields.

You use !Account to specify the source account for a !Type:xxx when
specifying multi-account QIF files.

> Regards,
> Biloti

Hope this helps,