QIF spec ambiguity in example file

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 29 10:42:21 EDT 2014

Hi,

"Daniel White" <twinbee42 at skytopia.com> writes:

>> I think you're confusing account definitions from actual transaction
>> definition.  Accounts only use N, T, D, L, and B.  Whereas N, T, D, Q,
>> T, P, N, L, Y, and $ are most definitely "transaction" fields.
>
> Under "Account Information Format" (which sounds like an "account
> definition"
> to me - is that what you meant?), it lists / and $ as well (B is not
> listed).
> But even then, the N code could represent either the N from the
> account definition'
> or N from the 'transaction' - which is it to be? It's ambiguous, at least
> as far as I can see.

I don't understand why it's ambiguous..  !Account uses one set of
fields, and transactions use another set of fields, and yes, the set
overlaps.  I don't understand how that is ambigious.

I have no idea what / and $ are for account information.  I don't see
anything in the gnucash code that would handle those tags.

> How do we know when the text "!Account" appears, that a transaction follows
> as opposed to defining an account?

Because there is a !Type:xxx after the !Account.

> In the example shown, the first 'N' is "NAssets:Investments:Mutual
> Fund". The second
> 'N' is "BuyX". However, there is no caret (^) to separate the types,
> and so there
> is ambiguity between what N is supposed to mean what (yes I know a human
> can take a very good guess at what they mean, but arbitrary text in
> those fields
> could make this theoretically impossible for even a human to
> parse). The same problem
> goes for the 'T', and 'D' codes. Are they supposed to mean an account
> definition or
> a transaction? How can we know that for sure? It seems N and T are part of
> the "Account Information Format", but then what magically makes D part
> of the
> "Investment transaction format" instead which comes on the very next line!

Could you attach the example file you're looking at?  You're probably
missing a !-line that switches the parse context.

> Thanks for trying to make sense of this issue.
>
> Regards, Daniel

-derek