multicurrency

May Workman may_workman at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 30 16:20:15 EDT 2014

Hello I am a very new user to gnucash. Just imported all my accounts from Quicken (data starting in 2001) yesterday and stayed up until 4am getting one old account to balance to zero since it has been closed for years. (I did it just to test if multicurrency transfers would work, this account was only open for a 2 year time period so it was relatively small.)
My case is complicated because I live in the euro zone, get paid in the US and have bank accounts, income and expenses in both. So the second time I imported my data (into a new file) was after reading the tutorial by Peter Selinger and I set the Use Trading Accounts parameter to true. That helped.
I couldn't find any complicated examples as to how to setup my expense accounts correctly. What I did last night was made "expenses EUR" with groceries, auto fuel, telephone,...underneath. Then I made a similar tree under "expenses USD". I attributed the imported Quicken account to either the USD or the EUR expense account. The other one is new.
Is this the correct way to setup my accounts?  I have 14+ years of material to go through and I want to make sure I'm doing it right to begin with. Will I be able to in the end track all my expenses in either USD or/and EUR combining the two separate expense accounts for each currency into one report?
I would love to read a more complicated example of how to use gnucash in multiple currencies, someone who uses multiple currencies on a daily basis and uses one budget to track all expenses.
I must keep my 14 years of history. It is something that I go back to and research spending habits, finding receipts for warranties and such. I don't want to go through the work if this solution isn't the right one.
Thanks for any help,May