accounting for managed investment accounts

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 18:39:23 EDT 2014

Carl,

I, for one, was confused by your post, which seems to have multiple issues in it.

Regarding the managed account: at one point you state you want to treat this as a "black box" into which you have no desire or need to see. Then you go on to reference all sorts of "seeing" you need to do. If the account truly is a black box, then treat it just like a mutual fund--or even a savings account, where the fund manager or banker decides what investments to make, and pays you money in the form of interest or dividends. You record only those transactions that affect the overall balance of your account. But perhaps there actually is more?

I have no idea what the multiple currency point is, and I don't know how or whether trading accounts will affect things, as I don't use either.

As for your own stock holdings, it seems to me that your holdings in individual stocks would likely require you to track them as stocks. For me, that whole "tax" thing essentially requires that I track them individually, so that Uncle Sam (in my case) can get his piece...

David