loan program

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Apr 30 23:16:23 EDT 2014

On Apr 30, 2014, at 7:29 PM, berttech <berttech at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Some month ago I started using GNUCASH and find it working well.
> Now I want to add an account like the mortgage program but not to pay of a
> loan but to have a loan repaid to me, with the possibility to calculate
> interest per period, either weekly, monthly or yearly. Can anyone advise me
> if it is possible  to use the program "mortgage and loan repayment", but in
> reveres?

I don't think it's able to work that way, and in any case doesn't behave well if the actual payments don't match it's calculated projections; it's not smart enough to recalculate a new set of payments if you overpay one month, for example.

Your best option is probably to set up the loan in a spreadsheet which does do the recalculation when you enter each actual payment. On the GnuCash side, create an asset account and an Income::Private Loan Interest account. Your spreadsheet can tell you how much of each payment to allocate to each.

Regards,
John Ralls