Yosemite

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Fri Aug 1 18:02:33 EDT 2014

Hi All,
  I'm experimenting with Yosemite beta and ran into a problem with GnuCash 2.6.3. Has anyone else got GnuCash running under Yosemite?

  I should start with a little background. I don't have unlimited resources, so I'm running Yosemite in a VirtualBox VM. Naturally, it is possible that the VM is the cause of my problem, but it does seem to be completely stable and I have installed some other free software without problems (specifically, rsync built from sources, AlphaX from binary, and MacTex from the installer).

  GnuCash itself seems to be clean and stable so far. The issue I'm having is with the Price Editor, but  I should note that I have not added any accounts to this GnuCash file, just the securities so I could download some price data. Before I ran GnuCash for the first time, I first ran FinanceQuote Update.app. This is the same procedure I followed when I installed GnuCash on my main system under Snow Leopard, where the Price Editor and downloading prices seems to be working flawlessly. Unfortunately, under Yosemite, I'm getting an error when I ask it to get prices: "There was an unknown error while retrieving the price quotes." I have tried the same installation procedure under a fully updated Mavericks installation on another VM with the same problem, so I don't necessarily think the problem isn't unique to me. I would like some ideas on how to diagnose the problem.

Best,
John