Difficulty in importing invoices

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 2 07:07:48 EDT 2014

Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:27:05
<CAAyPE3A62dJ8k_Gdi_vmgBvOp147wookeSLRmrUfEEK2Zgjp0g at mail.gmail.com>
Buddha Buck <blaisepascal at gmail.com>

>I'm trying to write out a CSV file suitable for importing as an invoice,
>and I'm running into some difficulty.
>
>System setup: Debian Jessie/Sid amd64, GnuCash 2.6.3
>
>As a test, I have created a brand-new GnuCash file, based off the accounts
>of my main file, added a customer with an ID of "EXA" (short for
>"example"), and then had my external program generate a file that contained
>the one line
>
>EXA-1407,2014-07-31,EXA,,,2014-07-27,Extra membership for
>2014-07-27,,Income:Membership
>Dues,1,75.0,%,,25.0,,,,2014-07-27,2014-08-03,,,
>
>My expectation was that importing this would create an invoice with ID
>EXA-1407, with a single line item dated 7/27, providing income to the
>Membership Dues account, with a unit cost of $75 and a 25% discount, for a
>total invoice amount of $56.25. I expected it to be posted as of 7-27, with
>a due date of 8-03.
>
>I almost got that. There were a couple of issues:
>
>* I had to make sure the date format preference in GnuCash matched what was
>in the CSV (or I got weird dates).
>
>* It didn't automatically post. I suspect this is because I didn't specify
>a posted account I didn't know what to specify. Assets:Accounts Receivable?
>(followup: Adding the account_posted field to Assets:Accounts Receivable
>did the trick).
>
>* The subtotal for the imported invoice line was $75, not $56.25. It listed
>the unit price as $75, the discount as 25%, and the subtotal as $75.
>Posting lead to Income credited by $75, not $56.25.

Which is the right amount?  Why do you need the discount to be
recognised if it is presumed?

>* When the invoice is unposted, clicking on the line (as if to edit)
>changed the subtotal to $56.25, but only as long as focus was on that line.
>Switching to a different line with the cursor keys, mouse, return, or enter
>resulted in the subtotal switching back to $75. Only by manually
>re-entering the discount amount was I able to get the subtotal to stick at
>the discounted amount.
>
>The date issue I dealt with. I'd prefer to auto-post because of the sheer
>number of these things (50 members/month in a batch import), but that seems
>to be resolved.
>
>But the discounts issue seems like a bug. I can work-around it by
>pre-applying the discount (exporting the CVS line saying it's $56.25 with
>no discount, rather than $75 with a 25% discount), but it doesn't match my
>historical process.

Does everyone get the same discount?  i.e. this is faux accounting of
the discount?

>Am I missing something in how this is supposed to work, or is this a real
>bug that should be reported to the bug tracker?

Don't think you should yell bug yet as I'm not sure how far you've got
with the existing import stuff and thoughts about it.

Presuming this is legit and going through a bank account you'd only see
the received amounts anyway and any discounts would be back calculated,
right?

If so why not just do the discounts once a month or week as a reverse on
the amounts received?

e.g.

Received 100
Supposed discounts 100*.25 = 25
Supposedly received 125

I mean, who is fooling who?  Surely you know what is going on?

--
Wm...