Three trading accounts in one transaction

Anton Lindström anton at antonanton.com
Sun Aug 3 11:40:04 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I have a transaction that won't balance, I hope someone can point out what I'm missing.

I'm buying a stock which is denominated in CAD. I'm buying it with money from an account at my broker which is in SEK.
The commission is also in SEK.

So, I enter three lines:
1. The stock I'm buying: number of shares and price in CAD. (166 shares, total price 4365.80 CAD)
2. The commission in SEK. (274,17, entered in the "Buy" column)
3. The currency account with the total amount (total price of stocks and commission) in SEK. (30198.96 SEK, entered in the "Sell" column)

When I hit enter Gnucash creates three Trading accounts and one Unbalanced account:

1. Trading:CURRENCY:SEK in the Buy column, 29924.79 SEK.
2. Trading:AMEX:Stock which matches the stock I bought, except it's a sell instead of buy.
3. Trading:CURRENCY:CAD in the Sell column, 25558,99 CAD
4. Unbalanced-CAD in the Buy column, 25558,99 CAD

1 and 2 I understand but I don't know how 3 and 4 are created. The number 25558,99 is equal to 29924,79 - 4365,80, both numbers are the price of the stock in SEK and CAD. Maybe Gnucash is assuming an exchange rate of 1 CAD = 1 SEK ??
I'm not sure but I think the transaction should contain two trading accounts in CAD, one in the Sell column and one in the Buy column, but when I try to put that in it's still not accepted. Maybe because the exchange rate is "wrong"?

I'm using Gnucash 2.6.3 (in Swedish so I might not have translated everything correctly to English in my explanation).

I hope someone can point out what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks and best regards,
Anton