Reports with Multiple columns for YEARs

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Aug 4 17:08:01 EDT 2014

mcmurchy1917-gnucash at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>What I do for reports like this is copy the data from gnucash and paste special into Libreoffice Calc, convert the YYYY-MM-DD dates to YYYY and create a pivot table.
>
>Alex

When I first began with gnucash I asked the accountant-lawyer  on out
board who helps me with the more formal annual report if I should code a
special report for this since that's the standard way for non-profits to
report. And while not particularly familiar with scheme, we'll it's just
some LISP dialect, and once you're fluent in half a dozen languages,
what's one more.

But he said "don't bother Mike", Just give me the raw data ( the "Income
Statements" and "Balance Sheets") and I'll use my favorite editor to put
it together for the formal annual report.  Any accountant does it that
way, especially when you consider that there is a lot more editing to be
done, footnotes to explain any unusual activity, fixed text describing
things like policies for fixed assets, etc. In other words, for gnucash
to be able to produce the "finished product" version of the report would
require the capabilities of a general purpose editor and why reinvent
the wheel when such editors already exist.

Michael D Novack