KMyMoney vs Gnucash

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Fri Aug 15 10:07:30 EDT 2014

Thank you, Michael, for such a good example of a specious argument.

  Given that the set of all possible features is a multidimensional continuum, with no natural dividing lines grouping the "individual" features into sets, no application of any "type" SHOULD have or not have any particular feature. We each as users and developers decide what we want and think we need. When many people agree on a particular set of features, we as a society, or some subgroup of the society, give that set of features a name and people start thinking they "belong" together. That does not change the fact that other people in other situations might group the features differently.

  The fact that the GnuCash developers have not chosen to add quoting or billable hours or some other feature has more to do with tradition and any natural order of the universe. Both of those features fit perfectly well in an ACCOUNTING system (or business or graphic design, for that matter). Another person could equally well claim that invoicing and customer tracking should be in a business system rather than an accounting system, but those components have apparently passed muster.

  More to the point is the clear fact, based on GnuCash's history, that no one has had the time and desire to do the work necessary to include those features (quoting and billable hours) in GnuCash. Given what I have seen so far about the culture of the GnuCash development community, I suspect that the social work of such a project would be as difficult as the programming work.

Best,
John