Version 2.6.3 won't save when there are open Reports

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Aug 15 13:51:19 EDT 2014

On Friday 15 August 2014 13:37:05 Roger wrote:
> Hi Derek,
>
> I have always agreed with you about residual and have done as you
> suggested so that this was all that was left (actually I think there
> must be some configuration files somewhere???)
>
> Anyway I think I found the residual that was causing the open report
> problem.
>
> Once I deleted the ~/.cache/guile folder everything seems to work!
>
> Thank you both Derek & Geert for you perseverance in helping to solve
> this frustrating problem.
>
> Roger

Doh, I should have thought of that ! Guile 2 precompiles the scm files and uses the precompiled
versions as long as they are more recent than the uncompiled version.

So if you installed a selfcompiled version of gnucash at a more recent date than the date
Kubuntu has created its 2.6.3 package, the compiled scm files (from 2.6.1) are more recent
than the original 2.6.3 scm files and a guile won't recompile.

That's a subtle bug with our use of guile 2. The only sensible solution I see for this is to disable
auto-compilation and instead compile the scm files as part of the build process. That way we
can ensure the compiled scm files always match the uncompiled ones for the running version of
GnuCash.

Thanks for reporting your solution. At least we know now what steps to take in the future.

Geert