Lot link problems

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Aug 20 07:51:46 EDT 2014

On Monday 18 August 2014 08:28:28 ItsGoneFunny wrote:
> Hello!
> I've been using GnuCash for my business accounting for years and very
> smug and happy I am about it too. I think it is an amazing package
> for free and really flexible. Thank you very very much.
>
> It has taught me all I know about accounting and I fear I may have
> developped rather ideosyncratic methods (Accounts that make no sense
> to proper accountants, but make great sense to me)
>
> Just to say that I too was deeply puzzled by the Lot Links. Mainly
> because I had never heard of Lot accounting and thought "Lot" was a
> typo for "Lost". Therefore that something had gone wrong internally
> and hours spent trying to rectify these imagined mistakes by deleting
> the links and reentering payments invoices etc. I can confirm that
> while we are not supposed to be looking at accounts receivable, we DO
> look. I even do wrong things like putting an amount owed directly
> into account receivable, so that I can remember that someone is
> supposed to be paying me.

You are of course free to use the application the way you see fit. The disadvantage of using it
differently than intended is that not all logic works as expected either.

What are you trying to achieve by putting an amount directly into the account receivable
instead of using the business options ?

> Very glad to read the explanations here and know that all is well.

Thanks for the feedback. As mentioned earlier as well I intend to revisit the whole "Lot Link"
concept. In fact I am writing a cleanup function for this as we speak. It's a first step. After that I
intend to reduce the amount of lot links that will be created.

> As mentioned by someone else: now I know that the Action -> View Lots
> place exists, many of the transactions are dated 1833.
>
> Also during the recent chaos, I became very confused by whether an
> invoice was posted or not. In the Edit Invoice dialog the "Post"
> button is always live, even when an invoice has already beren posted.

I vaguely remember a similar issue being discussed on the list before. For sure this is not normal
behaviour. Can you check the contents of your trace file [1] ?

> Anyway, whinging apart, I am so grateful to you guys.

That's nice to hear !

Geert

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile