How To Budget Investment Accounts?

Jonathan Chan jonmchan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 17:34:04 EDT 2014

Yeah, I can see that budgeting is very individualistic. I suppose I'm sorta
disappointed with the budgeting functionality of GNUCash. I see and
understand that it gives you basic budgeting functionality, but I actually
liked how mint.com functioned where you can budget month to month and have
rollover and all those nifty things. That said, there was a ton of stuff
that I didn't like about Mint which is why I switched to GNUCash.

I also think it is interesting that you use a spreadsheet to do it because
I think you sorta need that kinda power and flexibility to build a budget.
It sorta shows that GNUCash budgeting features are very basic and could be
flushed out more.

So back to the topic, I'm the type of person that likes keeping track of
everything so the way I implemented was with David C's suggestion and then
I added another Orphan account to keep track of all the money that is being
generated to put it into the Expense portion of the budget. It makes things
round about, but it balances when I look at the Budget and the general
account ledger.

Jonathan