OFX import showing already matched transactions?

Tracy gnulist at vbot.org
Thu Aug 21 08:14:33 EDT 2014

Greetings,

(GnuCash 2.6.3, Window 7 64-bit)

I have downloaded transactions from my financial institution (in this
case, transactions for a credit card) in QFX format, and I am working on
importing these transactions into my register.

The large majority of these transactions already exist in the register
(were manually added from the transaction receipts), with the
transaction date specified along with the exact amount of the
transaction. However, there are occasions where the transaction does not
get manually entered (no receipt was provided, receipt was lost, etc),
hence the download and matching of transactions from the financial
institution (it is easier to remember a "missed" transaction from two
days ago than one from three weeks ago during statement reconciliation).

When importing the QFX file, the "Generic import transaction matcher"
window opens with the transactions listed, and some transactions already
matched (reconcile) or partially matched (update & reconcile), and
others listed as "Do not import" (which I assume means that the matcher
was unable to identify the transaction with enough certainty to provide
a match).

Now, because I am new to GnuCash, I am somewhat untrusting of the
automated matching process. Therefore, I double-click each transaction
to ensure that the match is correct (and I change the import type to
"reconcile" after I verify each match, because I do not want the Payee
that I have in my register to be changed - is there a setting to cause
"update & reconcile" to respect the Payee names in my register? I
haven't found one, so far...).

So, the problem. When I double-click on a transaction to verify the
match, I am presented with a list of transactions which potentially
match the transaction I am looking at. However, the presented list
includes previously matched transactions. I believe this is incorrect
behavior. If a register transaction has already been matched to an
previously downloaded transaction, that transaction should not be
offered for matching to a newly downloaded (ie. different) transaction.
At the very least, it should be differentiated in some way, indicating
to the user that it has been previously matched.

To give an example, let's say that I visit Subway regularly, and that
(being a creature of habit) I order the same thing frequently, thus
resulting in transactions with the same amounts, the same payee, but
different dates, as in:

8/10/14   Subway      3.99
8/11/14   Subway      3.99
8/13/14   Subway      3.99
8/17/14   Subway      3.99

Now, if I download transactions on 8/15/14, and match them with the
transactions in my register (thus matching the transactions from 8/10/14
an 8/11/14), then download transactions again on 8/16/14, when I go to
match transactions again, I should not see the transactions from 8/10/14
and 8/11/14 offered as possible matches for the newly downloaded
transactions (since they have already been previously matched). However,
they do show up as potential choices, with no indication (at least, none
that I have been able to identify) that they have been previously
matched to a transaction....

Now, I could understand if they showed up in the list of transactions
but were flagged in some way as having been previously matched
(highlighted, different color, a column indicating they were previously
matched, something). I could even understand them not being presented at
all (because they were previously matched).

But from my point of view, as a user, there needs to be *some* way to
differentiate "previously matched" transactions from transactions that
are "unmatched", during the OFX/QFX import process - otherwise I'm going
to end up matching two different transactions from my bank to a single
transaction in my register (and then will end up potentially missing
transactions, and having to go back through and search receipts during
the statement reconciliation process to find out what went wrong).

Am I missing some obvious feature or setting that would enable this
behavior, or is this truly "expected behavior"?

Tracy