How does one change the number of decimal places in stock account?

Richard Dawson rcdawson at att.net
Fri Aug 22 23:30:17 EDT 2014

I have an existing account that displays five decimal places in the number of
shares column.  The company holding the account has now changed to 6 decimal
places, and I would like to keep my tally equal to the tally on my statements.

So, I edited the account and changed the "smallest fraction" setting from "Use
Commodity Value" to 1/1000000.  I then attempted an entry.  All seemed OK,
except when I completed the entry it refused to update the running balance.
It just leaves the balance field blank.

I set the smallest fraction back to Commodity Value, and I was able to add
entries and see the balance increment accordingly.

How can I change the number of decimals displayed for Shares added in a
transaction and for the running blance of shares?

You may wonder why one should fuss so much over a few millionths of a share,
but when your total number of shares is as small as mine a few millionths is
important!

Thank you,

Richard Dawson