Out of curiosity...

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Dec 1 09:07:26 EST 2014

Steve wrote:

>if one was inclined to switch over to another financial accounting program,
>does anyone have any success stories to share on exporting data out of
>GnuCash and into another program (the question on its face seems rather
>silly, since anyone doing so, likely wouldn't be reading this forum, but
>stranger things have happened)?

Not silly exactly but the wrong place? With EVERY application I have
seen, commercial as well as open source, it seems accepted that the
responsibility of moving data between application alternatives is the
responsibility of the importing application. In other words, the
developers of that application (perhaps at the urging of their user
base, perhaps based upon a management marketing decision)  decide to
create tools to bring data form other application to their own. Or
decide not to bother.

So it is on the forum of this other application I would look for topics
like "importing data from gnucash".

Michael D Novack

PS: That is a sensible division of responsibility. In either case (no
matter on which side the responsibility) the proof of the pudding
testing is that the data arrives correctly into the receiving
application and whether that process in some way messes up the data of
the sending application not important (a copy of the data would need to
be used if it did that, but that is trivial, and eliminates the need to
test what happens to the data). In other words, it's the receiving end
that must be tested.