Out of curiosity...

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Dec 2 09:01:04 EST 2014

Steve wrote:

>My question was sincerely posed with NO other accounting package in the back
>of my mind, or that I'm considering, or in my imagination; I was just
>curious how successful anyone has been, in trying to export GnuCash's
>structure and data to ANY other financial program.  Was a simple question.

My response was perhaps misunderstood. You are asking whether anybody
has had success EXPORTING gnucash data to some other application rather
than asking whether anybody had success IMPORTING gnucash data into some
other application and why that is something you would expect to see
where that other application was being discussed. I was saying that an
application does into normally provide for exporting its data but might
well have provisions for importing data of other applications.

For example, if I were to write a tool (a program) able to access
gnucash's DATA and write that data out in a format usable by some other
application I would have no need to know anything about gnucash EXCEPT
the formats in which its data was stored. << and yes, this is the sort
of thing they paid me for in my working days >> I would need to know the
data descriptions in great detail but the program processing  not at
all. You would expect me to be working for (paid or as a volunteer) of
this other application and the people who would be using this tool would
be users of that application, not users of gnucash. For a concrete
example, gnucash does have facilities for importing data from some other
applications. But would you expect current users of these other
applications to know anything about these facilities?

On the other hand, I believe I do understand the WHY of your question,
what your concern might be. "If gnucash doesn't work out for me, how
hard would it be to import my gnucash data into application X as my fall
back position". Well where you need to go is to discussion lists of
application X (or X's if more than one possibility) to look for
"importing data from gnucash". This is simply the wrong place.

Michael D Novack