Handling charitable donation as a discount on an invoice

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 09:41:53 EST 2014

I think the way *I* would handle this would be to create the invoice for the full amount, and then when you post it to accounts payable, you have the full amount.

You can then pay it partly from the appropriate asset account, in the amount that you do - the $900.  And pay the other $100 from income/revenue-in-kind.  I haven’t tried this, but if it doesn’t work, you could pay the last $100 from assets/in-kind-holding-account (or some such) and then pay from income/revenue-in-kind into assets/in-kind-holding-account.   Which I know will work.

A feature of this approach is that if you ever lose this supplier (in this case engineer), your accounting will already show $1000 spent on engineering, which it should.  You really did spend $1000 on engineering, but you also got $100 in a donation.   Whether this complicates or simplifies your tax reporting likely depends on your jurisdiction.