Out of curiosity...

Robert Kesterson robertk at robertk.com
Wed Dec 3 05:57:37 EST 2014

I have tried a few times to export my Gnucash data to other programs, by
converting the XML file to QIF.  I don't recall the tool I used --
Google will find it if you want to look.  I was never happy with the
results.  The biggest issue I ran into was the depth of my account
structure.  I had four levels (ie,
Expenses:Business:Utilities:Electric).  That would almost always result
in a big mess when I imported the QIF into something else.  When I
realized the problem and pared back to 3 levels (ie,
BizExpense:Utilities:Electric) then it would import mostly OK.

However, like I said, I've tried a few times (mostly lured by more
attractive user interfaces), but I have always returned to Gnucash.  The
real double entry accounting is more useful to me than the category
approach that nearly everything else uses.  And, though the some of the
other user interfaces look a lot slicker, none of them is as actually
usable as Gnucash.  I enter every receipt in Gnucash, usually with
several splits on each receipt.  I can do all of that without my hands
ever leaving the keyboard in Gnucash.  I absolutely loathe programs that
make me reach for the mouse when I'm trying to type in a bunch of data.