Shared data file on Google Drive - change in behavior

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Dec 8 17:06:55 EST 2014

> On Dec 8, 2014, at 1:35 PM, Bob Fuller <bobfuller.pilgrim at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> I believe I am using Google Drive. It shows in Control Panel as a loaded program on my PC. I select "Google Drive" from the Google Chrome Icon in the Task Bar. Opening the Google Task Manager from that icon menu shows "App - My Drive - Google Drive" operating.  When I look at Settings from My Drive I see the following, which say's it is syncing Offline. This all seems OK.
> <image.png>
> I was able to download the .gnucash file from Google Drive to my PC desktop. I can open this with GnuCash by double-clicking the file and it works fine.  When I close it the .log files are created in the desktop folder I put the file in.  Of course, I cannot open with double-click on Google Drive. It wants a Google application to be used.
>
> So, the problem is still my inability to find the shared My Drive file using the GnuCash program Open File menu. In trying again I noticed that even though I and my son had saved the files as XML, that does not show as a possible Data Format when I try to find and open the latest .gnucash file.  I it defaults to "file" data format.  The only other options in the drop-down are "mysql" and "postgres".  But, the same is true for the file I can open successfully from the Desktop folder.
>
> I'm uploading the files I'm successful with to my Cox Cloud Drive.  Maybe that is a simpler place to share.

When opening a file, “File” means a file stored on your system, which can be either XML or SQLite; GnuCash will figure that out for you and do the right thing.

In the system tray (the far-right section of the task bar), right-click on the Google Drive icon. The first line of the menu will indicate whether you’re signed in to Google Drive. If not, sign in. If you are, then select Preferences from that menu and make sure that the folder with your GnuCash documents is selected for synch with this computer.

Your Cox Cloud Drive will work for sharing only if your son can also access it. I’ve no idea whether it will be easier to use than Google Drive.

Regards,
John Ralls