Limit on number of price quotes in Windows 7/Strawberry Perl?

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 22:11:01 EST 2014

It seems that when I set up my gnucash to retrieve price quotes for 14
different securities/currencies using Finance::Quote, it works, but when I
add a 15th security, the Strawberry Perl window hangs and has to be force
closed. On the other hand, adding the 15th security does not lead to a
problem on my Macbook.

I'm guessing that a command line becomes too long for the Windows 7 shell,
but that the limit is larger on the Macbook. Has anyone seen a similar
problem? Is it possible for me to work around the problem by requesting
quotes in several batches instead of all at once?

Gnucash 2.6.3 on two different Windows 7 PCs and the Macbook; Strawberry
Perl on both Windows PCs, and the Apple tools (recently upgraded to
Yosemite) on the Macbook. I have customized my Finance::Quote setup
slightly, but after experimenting, I'm pretty sure my changes aren't the
cause of the problem.

--
Edward Doolittle
Associate Professor of Mathematics

« Toutes les fois que je donne une place vacante, je fais cent mécontents
et un ingrat. »
-- Louis XIV, dans Voltaire, Le Siècle de Louis XIV, Chap. XXVI