Writing custom reports for Customers

Matt Kowske jmk at cmail.nu
Fri Dec 12 19:03:17 EST 2014

Hello all,

I am trying to use GnuCash to do accounting for a real estate investment
LLC. I have found that there is a limitation in that you can't create
"classes" like you can in Quickbooks but some people have found clever
workarounds for htis on the web. One posted here:

http://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request/suggestions/1543027-transaction-classifications
(near the bottom)

... is to setup individual properties as Customers and individual
expenses as Vendors. This way you can "tag" expenses to certain
properties. This seems to work pretty well, except the reporting on
Customers is lacking for this type of use for it. I would need to
produce a P&L report for each "customer" or property and don't see any
way to do that currently.

So, finally, to my question -- before I spend hours learning how to
write a customer GnuCash report, could someone more experienced tell me
if this would be even possible? A report just like the "Income
Statement" already in the program but narrowed down to only a particular
customer?

Thanks --