Newbie Split Transaction Problem

Paul Warthe warthes7 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 14:21:40 EST 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie trying to work through the examples in the Help: Tutorial and
Concepts Guide. I'm using version 2.6.3 built from git rev 166cbb7+ on
2014-04-01.

My current problem is with split transactions. The program is not working
the way it is described in the guide. Under the chapter "Transactions" "The
Account Register" there is the example of entering a paycheck as a split
transaction. Figure 4.1 shows: (my apologies in advance if the following
doesn't line up in columns as does in the program.)

Description                               Tot Deposit  Tot Withdrawal
Balance
Employers R Us                                 670.00
1,624.79
     After Tax        Assets: Checking         670.00
     Federal Tx       Expenses:Taxes:Federal   180.00
     Medicare         Expenses:Taxes:Medicare   90.00
     Social Security  Expenses:Taxes:Social     60.00
     Before Tax       Income:Salary                     1,000.00

When I attempt to enter this information, being careful not to use the
"Enter" key, I end up with:

Description                               Tot Deposit  Tot Withdrawal
Balance
Employers R Us                                 670.00
1,624.79
     After Tax        Assets: Checking         670.00
                      Imbalance                940.00
     Federal Tx       Expenses:Taxes:Federal              490.00
     Medicare         Expenses:Taxes:Medicare              90.00
     Social Security  Expenses:Taxes:Social                30.00
     Before Tax       Income:Salary                     1,000.00

Also, when I am entering my data, I see small, greyed out boxes with an "X"
in them appear in the upper left corner of the cells. They disappear when I
enter the transaction.

Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Paul W.