Newbie Split Transaction Problem

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 17:33:38 EST 2014

On 12/13/2014 8:46 PM, Robin Chattopadhyay wrote:
> When you say that GnuCash is moving your values, are you possibly entering
> the values in as negative number? If you enter, for example, a credit as a
> negative number, Gnucash will represent the value as a positive debit.
>
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Paul Warthe <warthes7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for your reply John. I realized that I did not explain everything
>> enough. I am following the example in the tutorial, entering the same
>> values in the same cells. GnuCash moves them over to the cells I show in my
>> results. It also recalculates and enters the values you see. Jcard21, this
>> may be the things that don't seem right to you. I wasn’t aware screen shots
>> could be posted to this list. I will see what I can do about posting one.
>>
>> I appreciate your help guys.
>>
>> Paul

There is a possibility that you are entering a number in the left column
but not explicitly clearing out the number that GnuCash automatically
put in the right column or vice-versa.  Also note that GnuCash will
re-order the rows to put all the left column amounts and all the right
column amounts together when you finally do use the enter key.  When
GnuCash creates an Imbalance entry you can eliminate it by adding the
missing account and amount then  deleting each field in the Imbalance
row then tab out to the end.

David C