Budget - Monthly or Yearly?

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 17:33:50 EST 2014

I would offer a contrary view.  If your budget is smooth and even, then annual is fine.  It’s when things are lumpy that monthly makes the most sense.  Then you can put the evenly distributed amounts on all months, but the once-or-twice-a-year things in the months when they happen.  Such a budget allows you to predict whether there will be cash flow issues, and also makes it easier to look forward when you have a larger-than-expected balance, to the month to come when the larger expense will eat that balance up.