Cash Book

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Dec 17 11:02:05 EST 2014

> I use the Balance Sheet(equile), but I need
>to start the new year with a new balances.  The Balance sheets in gnucash
>are continuous.
>
>Can somebody please advise-
>
>Thanks
>
>Chris

I do NOT understand that. What could you possibly mean by "The Balance
sheets in gnucash are continuous"?

A Balance Sheet lists each "standing" account, each with its final
amount as of the date specified. A Balance Sheet is ALWAYS as of some
instance in time. There's no reference to what might have been in the
past or will be in the future.

If you are referring to the non-standing accounts like income and
expense accounts which are temporary accounts of fundamental type
"equity" those do NOT appear on a balance sheet. Their net appears on
the Balance Sheet as the delta of equity (gain or loss) from the initial
value of equity.

But if you are still unsure, just do the "close the books" operation
which will zero out these (temporary) accounts into equity explicitly.

Michael.