using account numbers in gnucash

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 23:29:27 EST 2014

On 12/18/2014 9:47 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> On 12/18/2014 9:20 PM, Wm wrote:
>> Thu, 18 Dec 2014 20:43:51 <549390E7.4040800 at gmail.com>  David Carlson
>> <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>

>>> I use account numbers sparingly for certain asset and liability accounts
>>> especially for things that might be paid out of different accounts from
>>> time to time.  I followed the general guidelines that are easily found
>>> on the internet or even in the Gnucash help such as asset accounts start
>>> with 1, liability accounts begin with 2, etc.  For example my primary
>>> checking account happens to be 10090, Cash is 12120, one of my credit
>>> cards is 20010, from a rather long list that I set up several years ago.
>> But that makes no sense to me or anyone else unless you are following
>> a specific legislative guideline that connects account numbers to
>> reporting accounts.  The OP and I are in the UK and I can assure you
>> we don't have to use certain account numbers.
>>
>>> There is no trick to using the numbers other than you need a paper list
>>> to use until you memorize the numbers because there is no drop down list
>>> to help with entering the account numbers into the account boxes.
>> OK, I'm going to seriously question why memory is better than just using
>> Ex for expense
>> In for income
>> : to say next part
>> and (say)
>> F for food
>> B for beer
>> R for rent
>>
>>> Initially, you need to show the account number column in the account
>>> list window while you are assigning the numbers.  Then, when you enter
>>> valid account number into the account box, Gnucash automatically changes
>>> the account to the correct name.  This is actually a lot faster than
>>> entering a fully qualified account name.
>> I never enter a fully qualified account name, they just work because I
>> use my head rather than someone else's accounting rules when I do
>> stuff to my CoA.
>>
>> If you are using a nationally imposed one you should know that is
>> required for reporting rather than use.
>>
> My account numbering is only for my convenience, nobody else's.  I find
> it much easier to enter a six digit number on a numeric keypad than to
> enter a sequence of letters separated by colons on a full keyboard.
> What works for you is different, obviously.
>
> David C

Going back to the OP's question, Mark asked how to do it, not whether he
should.  My answer is, as I stated, set up a list of account numbers in
the Accounts window, then just enter those numbers in the split Account
boxes instead of the complicated fully qualified account names, GnuCash
does the rest.  GnuCash even has a wizard to automatically assign or
re-assign account numbers for you if you care to read about it in the
manual.

One needs to devise a set of rules before assigning numbers so they make
some sense.  Some users, like me, just choose to use a scheme similar to
that which is already used by many accountants.  Each user can decide
what works best for him or herself.

David C